History of Beulah
Small wheatbelt town
Today Beulah is a tiny town of 200 people, located 382 kilometres north - west of Melbourne on the Henty Highway. It is hard to imagine that there was a time (around the turn of the century) when the Beulah district produced 125,000 bags of wheat each year and the local wool clip was worth £25,000. This was a time when the local general store, Cust & Sons, was huge and prosperous, Gillespie & Co had a flour mill and Franklin's Hotel was an elegant building.
The townsite stands on what was once Brim Sheep Station. When the area was opened up for closer settlement many selectors came from the Wimmera district, including the McKenzies who took up land just north of the present townsite in 1882. Devout Presbyterians, they named the township after a place-name in the Bible (Isaiah 62: 4).
The McKenzie land was subdivided in 1890, a survey conducted and the town was officially proclaimed in 1891. That year the local school had a population of 50. The railway line was extended from Warracknabeal in 1893 to the benefit of local graziers. The following year, the first edition of the Beulah Record and Mallee Advocate was published.
Click on the images to enlarge them: